Calving Pasture Mix™
Our Calving Pasture Mix is a blend of cool season grasses designed to handle high hoof traffic and overgrazing that commonly occurs in spring calving pastures. These grasses are quick to establish and form a thick sod that can hold up to high stocking densities. The species in this mix are also very early to green-up in the spring so their peak growth period correlates well with the timing of many cow-calf producers calving season.
- Planting Time:
- Early Spring – after hard freezing conditions have ended
- Fall – allow 3-4 weeks of growth before first killing frost
- Dormant – mid-late fall when temperatures are cold enough that seed will not germinate until the following spring. Soil temperature of 50 degrees or less.
- Seeding Rate: 25 lbs./acre
- Ideal Seed Depth: ¼” – ½”
- Seed should be drilled into a firm seedbed, or broadcasted and packed
- 30% Ginger Kentucky Bluegrass
- 25% STF 43 Tall Forage Fescue
- 25% Crested Wheatgrass
- 20% Perennial Ryegrass
These amounts are based on percentage of full seeding rate