The Hamilton is a blend of cool season grasses and alfalfa designed for areas of high salinity and pH. The grasses in The Hamilton are extremely salt tolerant and our SalinityMax alfalfa has proven to handle these conditions as well. We have worked with producers facing saline issues for years and the best solution to these areas is to get perennial vegetation back on those soils. Grasses and alfalfa will establish root systems to help water infiltration and their perennial growth will cycle excess salts which over time can improve the quality of soil. The Hamilton is suitable for grazing or haying and performs well in otherwise unproductive areas.
- Planting Time:
- Early Spring – after hard freezing conditions have ended
- Fall – allow 3-4 weeks of growth before first killing frost
- Dormant – mid-late fall when temperatures are cold enough that seed will not germinate until the following spring. Soil temperature of 50 degrees or less.
- Seeding Rate: 15 lbs./acre
- Ideal Seed Depth: ¼” – ½”
- Seed should be drilled into a firm seedbed, or broadcasted and packed
- 20% Tall Wheatgrass
- 20% Intermediate Wheatgrass
- 15% AC Saltlander Green Wheatgrass
- 15% Garrison Creeping Foxtail
- 15% SalinityMax Alfalfa
- 15% Tall Forage Fescue
These amounts are based on percentage of full seeding rate