Sweet Stover is designed for broadcasting or drilling applications. Created for the cattleman in mind to graze longer in the fall after corn harvest. This mix is to be interseeded into your wide row corn fields between V3-V8 of your corn growth. This diverse cocktail of brassica legumes and cool season grasses will balance your livestock gut out on stalks.
Drilled Seeding Rate: 20 lbs/acre
Broadcast Seeding Rate: 25 lbs/acre
|Purple Top Turnip||12.5%|
- Planting Time: Early – Mid-Summer
- Drilled Seeding Rate: 20 lbs/acre
- Broadcast Seeding Rate: 25 lbs/acre
- Ideal Seed Depth: 1/4″
Fertility + Weed Control
- Plant into a clean, weed-free seedbed.
- If weeds are present at planting, consider applying glyphosate before or after planting if drilled, but before crop emergence to control existing weeds. Do not apply glyphosate after planting if crop is broadcasted and not incorporated.
- Interseeding into corn should be done either early in the summer when corn is near the V3-8 growth stage – prior to the canopy
- The success of Sweet Stover depends on timing – plan your application of seed according to when there will be adequate sunlight reaching the ground to keep seedlings alive.
- Sweet Stover should be allowed to mature as much as the growing season will allow in order to gain the most benefit from the legumes in the blend.
- Following plant maturity or a killing frost – whichever comes first – Sweet Stover can be grazed without taking away from the soil health benefits it is designed to provide.
- All species in the blend should winterkill, so termination is not necessary.
- Very little residue will be gained from this blend, so there is no need to modify tillage plans.