Call for price
Hybrid Rye was bred to be the highest yielding small grain on the market. Its extensive tillering, solid stem and uniform grain set allow it to out yield other small grains in light and sandy soil. Its Pollen Plus technology creates a shorter pollination window which reduces the chances of ergot infestation, making hybrid rye grain more attractive to the rye grain market.
- Planting Time: Sept. 1–Oct. 1
- Seeding Depth: 0.5″-0.8″
- Seeding Rate: 0.8 units/acre
- Drill Calibration
- Divide the number of live seeds/unit (1,000,000) by the pounds/unit* to get the number of live seeds/pound.
- Divide the target seeding rate (800,000) by the live seeds/pound to get the pounds/acre to be planted.
*pounds/unit can be found on the seed tag. Each seed lot may contain a different pounds/unit value
|NITROGEN (N)||PHOSPHORUS (P2O5)||POTASSIUM (K2O)||SULFUR (S)|
*Rates are recommended if no soil test is taken.
- Use the nutrient removal rates above and the available nutrients found in the soil to determine how much additional fertilizer should be applied to reach the expected yield goal. Do not exceed a total of 25 lbs/a of N+K if fertilizer is placed in-furrow.
- Apply 20-30 lbs of nitrogen at planting, and the remaining nitrogen during green-up in the spring before jointing.
- Do not exceed a total of 15 lbs/a of N+K if fertilizer is placed in-furrow.
Plant into a clean, weed-free seedbed and consider using the herbicide options below for optimal weed control:
|Timing||Herbicide||Rate||Notes||Weeds Controlled||Control Method|
|Preplant or Preemergence||Sharpen (Salflufenacil)||1-2 oz/a||Apply before or after planting, but before crop emergence.||Broadleaves||Contact & Residual|
|Roundup (Glyphosate)**||32 oz/a||Apply any time before crop emergence.||Grasses & Broadleaves||Contact|
|Post- emergence||Huskie (Pyrasulfotole + Bromoxynil)||11-15 oz/a||Apply between 1 leaf and up to flag leaf emergence.||Broadleaves||Contact|
|Buctril (Bromoxynil)||1.5-2 pt/a||Apply in spring after crop greens up but before boot stage.||Broadleaves||Contact|
|Starane Flex (Fluroxypyr + Florasulam)||13.5 oz/a||Apply between the 3-leaf stage up to the flag leaf emergence.|
*Always read and follow label instructions before making an application.
**Different glyphosate products may have different application rates. Refer to the label before making an application.
Disclaimer: All products and rates were provided by university-based sources and product labels. Always follow label instructions and consult your local chemical dealer and seed dealer before making any applications or planting of seed.
- Fungicide applications are usually not needed due to the high disease tolerance.
- If any type of post emergence application is intended, try to make all applications before stem elogation to minimize uneven flowering.
- Hay or Haylage: Cut at any point from the late boot stage through the soft dough stage. Cutting earlier will result in lower yields, but higher quality forage.
- Grain: Harvest when the kernels are in the hard-dough stage and grain moisture is 15% or less.