Nutrient Builder™ is a very diverse blend developed to improve soil for next year’s cash crop. This cover crop cocktail will help fix nitrogen, build organic matter, and alleviate compaction. Seven different species will also help increase the soil’s microbial activity.
Drilled Seeding Rate: 25 lbs/acre
Broadcast Seeding Rate: 30 lbs/acre
|Cover Crop Radish||30%|
- Planting Time: Mid/Late Summer
- Planting during late spring and using as a full-season cover is another effective use.
- Drilled Seeding Rate: 25 lbs/acre
- Broadcast Seeding Rate: 30 lbs/acre
- Ideal Seed Depth: 3/4”
Fertility + Weed Control
- If grazing is intended and soil fertility levels are low, consider applying 25-50 lbs/acre of nitrogen at planting to increase total biomass production.
- Plant into a clean, weed-free seedbed.
- If weeds are present at planting, consider applying Glyphosate @ 32 oz/acre before or after planting but before crop emergence to control existing weeds.
Disclaimer: All products and rates were provided by university-based sources and product labels. Always follow label instructions and consult your local chemical dealer and seed dealer before making any applications or planting of seed.
- Nutrient Builder should be allowed to mature as much as the growing season will allow in order to gain the most benefit from the legumes in the blend.
- Following plant maturity or a killing frost – whichever comes first – Nutrient Builder can be grazed without taking away from the soil health benefits it is designed to provide.
- All species in the blend will winterkill, so termination is not necessary.
- Very little residue will be gained from this blend, so there is no need to modify tillage plans.