This is a great combination of brassicas, grasses, and legumes to maximize soil health. Balanced Plus works great to help create residue, alleviate compaction, and provide even grazing.
This mix meets the NRCS standard cover crop requirements for CSP and EQIP Programs in South Dakota and Minnesota.
Drilled Seeding Rate: 12 lbs/acre
Broadcast Seeding Rate: 15 lbs/acre
Need some help? Contact us.
|Purple Top Turnip||30%|
|Cover Crop Radish||20%|
- Planting Time: Mid/Late Summer
- Minimum of 45-60 days growth before a frost
- Drilled Seeding Rate: 12 lbs/acre
- Broadcast Seeding Rate: 15 lbs/acre
- Ideal Seed Depth: ½”
Fertility + Weed Control
- If grazing is intended and soil fertility levels are low, consider applying 25-50 lbs/acre of nitrogen at planting to increase total biomass production.
- Plant into a clean, weed-free seed.bed
- If weeds are present at planting, consider applying glyphosate before or after planting if drilled, but before crop emergence to
control existing weeds. Do not apply glyphosate after planting if crop is broadcasted and not incorporated.
Disclaimer: All products and rates were provided by university-based sources and product labels. Always follow label instructions and consult your local chemical dealer and seed dealer before making any applications or planting of seed.
- Balanced Plus can be grazed as soon as there is adequate growth to support livestock.
- There is little concern for grazing toxicity issues with only a small percentage of sorghum-sudangrass in the blend. To be most cautious, avoid grazing for 5-7 days following a killing frost.
- All species in the blend will winterkill, so termination is not necessary.
- Some residue will be gained from this mix, but not enough to prevent effective no-tilling. Follow the normal tillage plan for the following crops.
Every acre is different and our goal is to help you know what works best in your area. This 'Growing Regions' section showcases where this species works best. If you have any questions on product placement, feel free to contact our experts and we will help!